Wednesday, April 16, 2014

TWO VERY, VERY SPECIAL GALS

When I count my blessings, I count two women in my life that are not just ordinary women.  They are special, and let me tell you why.  They are my granddaughter, Hannah, and her mom(although she looks more like her sister), Erin.  They are special in so many ways, but their crowning glories are having both been deployed at the same time to Afghanistan.  Siblings have done it, and fathers and sons, but I cannot imagine that there have been too many mother-daughter deployments.
This picture taken shortly before deployment, Erin (Mom) on left and Hannah on right
Erin is a First Lt. Moncrief Army Community Hospital Department of Behavioral Health Social Work Assistant Chief helping soldiers in the U.S. Army to deal with the mental ravages of war while Hannah is a Senior Airman Air Force Crew Chief in the 12th Air Combat Division out of Hollomon Air Force Base in New Mexico.  Hannah left the U.S. last September and Erin deployed in October.  Hannah recently returned to the states after her second deployment to Kandahar Air Field. To me this is such an amazing achievement since she joined the military at the tender age of 18.  Erin deserves tremendous credit for putting herself through school earning a masters degree while working full-time.  They are both incredibly strong and disciplined,  Although stationed at separate bases in Afghanistan they were able to spend a few precious days together over the Christmas holidays. These gals can manage to still look glamorous while wearing fatigues!
Hannah was quoted as saying "We are in different branches and complete opposite career fields, but coming together to support the same deployed mission.  The opportunity to serve together is incredible" She also stated "I know my Mom came into the armed forces later in life and partly because of my service and her brother's (my uncle).  She recognized the need for good mental health services for soldiers.  I am a reminder to her about military combat issues and she is a reminder to me about resiliency and mental health strength."
Erin will be returning soon to the states and this time I doubt whether their reunion will include fatigues.  I say kudoes and well done to these two amazing women.  May God keep you safe and protect you whenever and wherever you go. You make us all so very proud.
Article in military newspaper.

No comments: