Friday, April 11, 2014

I CAN CHECK THIS ONE OFF THE BUCKET LIST!

Ever since I was a teenager I have been infatuated with outer space.  Even though life got busy and I put my interest on the back burner, I have always had a longing to see a rocket launch, live and in person.  I did not just want to see a rocket flying through the sky, I wanted to see it, feel it and hear it, up close, at least as close as they let you go.
Since we have been camping at Patrick Air Force Base on the central coast of Florida, it became possible for this dream to become a reality.  Last week we toured Kennedy Space Center, which I would highly recommend if you have not been there.  It is an incredible adventure, and you could spend a day there.  The bus tour takes you out to the launch pads and throughout the huge tract of land that is the space center.  You see the "crawlers". magnificent pieces of equipment that carry the rocket out to the launch pad, a two mile trip taking five hours.  You get to see many videos and displays that are so well done.  There are two Imax theaters and the icing on the cake for me was to see the actual Atlantis Space Shuttle.  Here are some pics from the visit to NASA....
 All manned flights to the moon left from this launch pad
 Crawler than takes rockets to the launch pad
 The size of the rockets is amazing
 Real astronaut boots with REAL moondust
The highlight of the trip for me..the Atlantis Space Shuttle

Although we were to leave Florida today for home, we extended for two days so that I could see the launch of an Atlas 5 rocket carrying reconnaisance equipment into space. ...yes, I would imagine that it is us they are spying on, :-)
I went armed with binoculars, iPhone, cameras and all I could carry.  Not sure why, I could only use one at a time!  I went to Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge, so that I could take pictures of the many birds there after the launch.  The beach was packed, as it is one of the more desirable spots for viewing the event.....as the time drew near, I was in awe that after 68 years I was really here.  The excitement was in the air for all of us.  Here are a few pics......
 Through the haze you can see the rocket in the middle of the picture between two towers
 Launch Time!
Gone in a flash

It may seem like a lot of effort to spend a day to see something that takes less than a minute, but it was a thrill for me.  That we live in a generation that has seen men walk on the moon, and live in a space station is incredible.  The few tears I shed while witnessing such an event are testimony to the blessing of realizing one of many lifelong dreams.

1 comment:

tom said...

Jackie and Tom, It's Tom and Barbara from Edisto,Oct. (airstream on the corner). Hope all is well, we are about to leave again, this time full time. We joined RVillage.com if you are on there, our name is,
Tom & Barbara on the site.
We found a place to stay Nov 1 To Apr 30 next winter in the keys. Just lucked out during a visit to the keys this winter.
This year the travel will take us West to explore. Hope to run across you.
tearstream@outlook.com
tearstream2airstream.wordpress.com

Tom and Barb